Assistant Editor (Higher Ed)Position Open Since: 01 Dec 2016
What will colleges look like in the future? (Will campuses even be around?) How will they evolve to meet the diverse needs of nontraditional, “New Normal” college students who are no longer coming straight from high school?
These are just a few of the big questions that drive EdSurge’s coverage of the people, ideas and tools shaping the higher education landscape. We’re looking for a versatile editor and reporter who will help direct our coverage of academic innovators (professors, administrators and entrepreneurs) and the students they aim to serve. This means connecting big ideas (think predictive analytics and artificial intelligence) to their impact on teaching and learning.
This assistant editor will possess an obsessive interest in the news and conversations happening in the higher education innovation community, planning, assigning and reporting stories as needed. The ideal candidate will write, edit, speak and explore other creative ways to tell stories. The assistant editor will also be our point person for growing our readership and a community of college leaders, CEOs, professors and experts whose decisions shape this rapidly changing sector.
You’re the kind of person who wonders:
- How can technology dramatically improve teaching and learning?
- What’s really working? What’s not? Who are the new players and who is struggling to adapt?
- What do colleges, companies and investors need to know?
In this job you will:
- Keep a daily pulse on higher-ed news and organize coverage (and report as needed).
- Serve as the voice and editor of EdSurge Next, our weekly newsletter aimed at college administrators and professors.
- Develop and manage editorial relationships with contributing writers.
- Edit articles from staff and contributing writers.
- Speak, report and represent EdSurge at events.
- Develop new ways to grow our online audience.
What makes you a great fit for this role:
- 2+ years of professional writing experience for a media outlet.
- Outstanding writing and editing chops.
- A passion for learning—and an obsessive curiosity about the role technology is playing.
- Great organization and management skills: You’ll be managing relationships with outside writers as well as staff.
- Ability to work independently under deadlines with minimal guidance.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with different social media platforms.
- Broad understanding of major education issues.
- Basic understanding of business and finance.
EdSurge has offices in Burlingame, CA and Oakland, CA. Both are a short walk from public transit including BART.
EdSurge is a high growth, venture-backed news and information resource organization that’s at the heart of the rapidly growing education technology ecosystem. We care deeply about our mission to connect the users, buyers and builders of education technology to close the opportunity gap by getting the right tools into classrooms. Our team is high energy, tight-knit and loves great reads, silly puns and giphys. We sometimes do science experiments in the office because—well, why not?
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and writing samples to email@example.com.